So apparently my weekends are meant to be spent baking. I’m really not complaining though. I was feeling really awful yesterday so I didn’t do much. This morning I was pretty energized and up really early so I decided I wanted blueberry muffins. I’ve already made blueberry raspberry lemony muffins, which were delicious, but I wanted something a little different. Plus, its too early in the life of this blog to make the same thing twice!
I decided I’d make blueberry oatmeal muffins. I found this recipe at Made Healthier. I adapted it a bit by swapping out the oil for apple sauce, adding a little extra vanilla and some cinnamon. I meant to add some flax seeds, but I forgot. And I added extra blueberries since I love blueberries.
The first thing I did was add 1.25 cups of oatmeal and 1 cup of skim milk. I wanted the oats to absorb some milk before I added it in.
Then I mixed the dry ingredients, added in the wet, and baked.
They look kind of gooey before they bake. More so than regular muffins. They came out really well. You can definitely taste the oatmeal. It has a little bit of the oatmeal consistency mixed in with the muffin consistency. It was really great. I also added a few oats on top of some them to make them look prettier, a tip I learned form Anne. Check them out below. They really do look better with the oats on top.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins:
- 1.25 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup white flour)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a muffin tin with liners, spray with cooking spray or grease the muffin tin.
- Mix oatmeal and milk in a small bowl.
- Mix flours, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Stir in oatmeal and skim milk.
- Beat an egg in a small bowl, then stir it into the larger bowl.
- Stir in apple sauce and vanilla.
- Mix in blueberries.
- Spoon into a muffin tin. I used about 1/4 cup in each tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. I think mine took about 18 minutes.