So I might be a little obsessed with this recipe. The pumpkin makes it nice and hearty but that, and the chocolate chips gives it just the right amount of sweetness.
I made it first for our post-Thanksgiving brunch. Then I made it again after I came back to New York. Its delicious. I made it two ways. One following the recipe complete with all of the sugar and other things, and one in a slightly healthier version. I’ll be honest, I didn’t taste the difference.
I found the original recipe here from myrecipes.com. The recipe originally came from Cooking Light. I love that the nutritional info is given on the website. Of course, the way I changed the recipe, it’d be a little different. It turns out to be around 150 calories a slice (assuming you’re getting 16 slices). As far as muffins go, its pretty healthy.
Did I mention you could also make it into muffins?
Oh, before I get into the recipe… When I was making these in my apartment, I was gchatting with a friend. The conversation:
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1/2 cup Apple sauce (or canola oil)
- 1/2 cup Vanilla Yogurt (I used fat free vanilla greek yogurt)
- 4 Large egg whites
- 1/4 cup flax seeds (optional, if you do, leave out 1 egg white)
- 1.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1.5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (you can use All Purpose Flour for this as well. 3 cups of flour total)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.25 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tins or spray muffin tins/loaf pans with cooking spray. (8 x 4 in loaf pans are recommended)
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, apple sauce, yogurt, egg whites and flax. Whisk together.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda together.
- Add flour mixture into pumpkin mixture and continue whisking until moist.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon into loaf pans or muffin tins.
- Bake. If you are baking loafs, bake for approximate 1 hour- 1 hour and 15 minutes. If you are baking muffins, bake approximately 15-20 minutes. In either case, bake until a tooth pick can be inserted and can come out clean from the center.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes in pans, and then remove to a wire rack. Continue cooling.
If you bake extra, who do you like to share yours with?